J. Joshua Bigham - Kite Description


J. Joshua Bigham
Kite





A close up of an animal

Description automatically generated
Inspiration
















When I started this kite project, as a photographer, I knew that I wanted to utilize a photographic process in the actual printing.  I eventually settled on the alternative photo process of cyanotype. 
Before I get to the design part of the project, I feel it is necessary to explain the cyanotype process and explain why I chose it.  The cyanotype process was invented in 1842 by Sir John Herschel. He discovered this process while experimenting with light sensitive materials that were non silver based. The chemistry for cyanotypes utilizes a mixture of two solutions, Part A, made up of Ferric Ammonium Citrate mixed with distilled water, and Part B, Potassium Ferricyanide, also mixed with distilled water. I will not bore you with the remainder of the technique but ultimately settled on this process for making my kite.  I chose to use this for a couple of reasons. First, for practical reasons it made sense as way to transfer the image I wanted onto the material I was utilizing for the kite.  This did come with challenges due to the types of paper we were utilizing. More importantly though I felt that it was important to me to use an “old” process because it felt right to represent one of the oldest developed regions of the world as such. I didn’t want to simply digitally print an image on the kite.  


With the process decided upon, I began to think of concept and design.  The original idea we discussed was one of connection. Along with that I knew I wanted to incorporate elements that one would normally associate with the UAE and the Middle East region. I immediately thought of the desert and the dunes and knew that this element needed to be represented. Also, in talking with the students attending the various universities we have been collaborating with they discussed a program in which the country is literally dropping water or mist into the sky to aid in cloud formation in attempt to get more rainMy mind immediately saw a somewhat ominous sky with dense cloud cover.  Lastly, for me I also wanted to make the image as surreal as I could. That part of the world is very mystifying to me and I felt that a surreal landscape made sense. Also, the human eye for me has always been a symbol of connection. It’s how you know you have made that connection when you make eye contact. As corny as it may sound, I believe you can tell a lot about an individual through their eyes, therefore, I wanted to incorporate this element into my design.

The image to the left is what I ultimately created from several photographs I have taken. Once I had the 
image, I then converted the image to a black and white digital negative that I was able to print and ultimately transfer to the paper I was using to construct the kite, which is pictured below.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katya Hutchinson - Dogwood and Dunes

Amber Baggette - Muscle Person and Pinky Promise

Myiah Nueman - Butterfly